Community Advisory Board Guidelines
The WTJU Community Advisory Board Guidelines
WTJU-FM is the radio station of the University of Virginia and is owned by the Rector and Board of Visitors of the University. Oversight is provided by the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs who also charges the WTJU Community Advisory Board each year. The WTJU Community Advisory Board provides a broad perspective on the general operation of radio station WTJU-FM and helps ensure that the station accomplishes its stated purpose in accordance with the requirements of its license. More specifically, the duties of the Board include the following:
To oversee the policies of WTJU with a view to ensure that the station’s practices confirm to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations, the mission of the University of Virginia and the Mission Statement of WTJU:
- To review the station’s programming efforts in balancing community and University interests;
- To periodically assess the station’s financial procedures and status as well as the station’s success in recruiting a diverse staff;
- To provide assistance in developing and reviewing the long range plan for WTJU; and
- To make recommendations to the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs and the Board of Visitors in conjunction with WTJU’s Annual Report.
Makeup of Board
The general makeup of the Board includes 11 or more voting members. The Board encourages diversity in the makeup of its membership and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic background, age, sex, religion or physical disability.
- General Manager of WTJU, a non-voting member of the Board
- At least four faculty or staff members of the University of Virginia;
- At least four members of the WTJU listening community without University affiliations;
- At least two undergraduate or graduate U.Va. students
- At least one WTJU alumnus
- Up to two at-large members, unspecified
Internal makeup of Board:
Voting members of the Board elect the following officers:
- Chairperson: This person will be charged as “Chair” of the Board, officially appointed by the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs. The Chair organizes meetings, develops agendas, leads meetings, and keeps the CAB on task.
- Vice Chairperson: The Vice Chair acts as Chair in case of absence or inability to fulfill Chair duties. The Vice Chair acts as Secretary in case of absence or inability to fulfill Secretary duties.
- Secretary: The Secretary records and maintains minutes from Board meetings and shares with all Board members in a timely manner following each meeting.
- Executive Committee: An executive committee will consist of the WTJU General Manager, Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary of the Board. The Executive Committee oversees recruitment procedures for Board members, interviews candidates for the Board, assists with other internal duties, and makes recommendations to the Board at large.
Timeline for recruiting, appointing and charging of Board
Board Recruiting Responsibilities
- The General Manager of WTJU in conjunction with the extant Board members (this responsibility may be executed by the executive committee) will recruit new members and have ready potential candidate applications no later than July 30th of each year for the following categories of the Board:
- Faculty or Staff of the University of Virginia
- Representatives from the Community
- U.Va. students (undergraduate or graduate)
- WTJU Alumnus
- At-Large Members
- The Board Chair and the General Manager of WTJU in conjunction with the extant Board members will circulate and review applications received
- The Board Chair and the General Manager of WTJU in conjunction with the extant Board members (or the duly authorized Executive Committee) will meet, briefly interview and explain operation of the Board to candidates by August 30th
- The Board members will nominate candidates to the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs following that meeting
Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs Responsibilities
- The Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs will charge the Board, effective September 1st of each year.
Terms of Membership
- The General Manager serves ex-officio.
- Community, Alumnus, Faculty & Staff, and At-Large terms are for two years with a limit of three consecutive terms. Terms shall be staggered such that approximately half of the Board member terms end any given year. Terms of all Board members are renewable per approval of the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs.
- Student terms are for one year with a limit of five consecutive terms. Terms of all Board members are renewable per approval of the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs.
- The Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary of the Board are elected from its membership. Each will serve for one year with term renewable per approval of Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs.
- Executive committee members will serve for one year, renewable per re-election by Board members.
Rules of Order
- Robert’s Rules of Order will be observed in all meetings
- Meetings will be announced at least one month in advance except for emergency sessions
- Meeting announcements will be accompanied by a brief agenda set by the Chair of the Board in conjunction with the General Manager of WTJU. Additions to the agenda may be proposed by membership.